Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hello There!

Allow me to introduce myself (and my bugs of interest!). My name is Lisa and I am entering my (undergraduate) senior year of study at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Canada. I am majoring in Biology and minoring in English literature (gotta work on those writing skills!). I am currently enrolled in a very interesting and special Directed Studies course concerning a species of fly- the Black Soldier Fly or Hermetia illucens. BSF (as I will be referring to them from here on out) have special attributes that enable them to be great at composting. Most people don't really think about it but waste management is a pretty integral part of the functioning of society. Cities and institutions (such as my university) spend millions of dollars on dealing with waste- first transporting it, often using some sort of composting machine, removing the waste, and often transporting it again. A major goal of this project would be to develop a solution (using BSF) that would allow us to deal with these issues at a fraction of the cost. BSF are also highly nutritious and can be used as a pet food. With no current supplier of BSF in Canada, this is another aspect that myself and my partners in this project- Dr. A and Rylo- are considering.
Our Directed Studies project is divided in to three phases. I started this blog to map my journey through (hopefully) accomplishing these objectives.
We first aim to establish a stable colony of BSF (in the lab). Next, we plan to measure the rate BSF larvae (the only feeding stage) can convert waste (simulataneously attempting to extend their larvae/feeding stage via manipulating their environmental conditions). Last, we hope to teach others about BSF, most likely by setting up signs by our pod at UBC Farm and potentially giving presentations to the young minds that attend summer camps at UBC Farm.
I thank you for visiting my blog and welcome you to leave comments and suggestions : )

No comments:

Post a Comment