Friday, August 20, 2010

Today, I opened the 'puparium' and was greeted by 14 beautiful, healthy adult flies! Four of them flew out immediately, and the rest were sitting on the side of the black 'puparium' (I have pictures!). It really seems like regulating the temperature (~25C) and humidity (~65%) has made a huge difference, as we have approximately 50 healthy adult flies alive at this time. Rylo and I hope to get to a point (soon, within the next couple of days even) when we open the 'puparium' and our count is 'lots' (as in, we have so many that we can't even count as they're-hopefully- flying out and mating).
We have so many adults now that I was able to take one male and one female as samples. I was also able to have a very close look at a live adult for the first time. Females are slightly larger, and have a noticeably green section to their abdomen. Their male counterparts have a grayish-green abdomen. I plan on making the samples (by freezing the male and female) and will take photos, hopefully next week.
Like I've said, I took one male and one female as samples (in a clear yogurt-sized container). But when I was busing back to campus from UBC Farm, I noticed a companion- a female fly was sitting on my backpack. She must have been there the entire time during my 20 min. walk to the bus stop! BSF flies are very docile and friendly- they are weak fliers and enjoy sitting as much as possible. They will sit on your hand for a very long time, making it much much easier to get a closer look at them. (I will post pictures when I get home!)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Lisa,
    I'm very interested by your experience. Would you have an email adress so we could communicate. I'm currently working on a BSF lab too. I was not able to contact you trough the blog so I try with this message. £Best regards.
    Matt

    ReplyDelete