Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day Camp + a Surprise

Today was overall a good day. Rylo and I gave an ~15 minute presentation to the 6/7-year olds attending Day Camp at UBC Farm. We started off by feeding a few maggots to the chickens, then took the kids over to the pod and explained how it worked. They were an inquisitive bunch and seemed most happy when they were allowed to hold the maggots themselves.
I had to leave right after the presentation to get to work so I wasn't able to be there for the wonderful surprise but . . . a few hours later, around 1pm, I received a phone call from Rylo telling me that we officially had our first adult female emerge! We're hoping that a few adult males will emerge so that she'll have some choices. Then, hopefully there's some attraction and egg-making. If we get some eggs in the next few days that would be absolutely amazing!
So yes, overall a good day. Giving the presentation to the kids was a growth experience- I still need to work on getting over my shyness in front of big groups. Baby steps . .

No comments:

Post a Comment